I always feel like at the start of September there is a newness in the air, almost more than the beginning of the calendar year. I guess it comes from years in the American school system where September brought the beginnings of a new school year, a new grade level, a new challenge. Nowadays I sometimes feel lost or adrift without that structure that 17 years of schooling has taught me to rely so heavily upon.
I am 24 years old, now 2 years out college and still no definitive direction in my life. Which I believe is a common occurrence in my generation, however, that does nothing to alleviate the panic inducing thoughts that sometimes comes along with dwelling on the matter for any period of time. Personally, I am okay with and very willing to admit that right now I don’t have a good sense of where my life is going at the moment. Overall anyway. That being said, what I do know is that I have three major passions in my life: Writing, Travel, and Film-making. Someday, hopefully soon, I aim to make a career of all three but until then, here I am, contemplating the struggles of getting by in my mid-twenties and hopefully sorting my life out sometime soon.
Presently I have 3 main goals in my life: to write more so that I may actually finish something and work towards publication, to get healthy as I am overweight and heart disease and diabetes run in my family, and to focus on furthering my career towards something I might actually want to do in life.
To hopefully accomplish these goals in about a years time I have given myself a challenge, to which I’m hoping that by doing this blog I will hold myself more accountable and actually complete these goals, something that has always alluded me in the past.
Therefore, with you, my nameless audience as my witnesses I promise to:
- Write a blog post every other day if not every day; whether it is a book review, movie review, or general review of my own musings I plan to just blog to keep those writing juices flowing.
- Write 300-500 words a day towards one of my stories that I seem to be working but never seem to get anywhere with.
- Go to the Gym every day or at least adopt a set gym schedule and STICK WITH IT.
- Eat Healthier, no more junk food, no more late night meals no more laziness when it comes to my eating habits.
- Come up with a more definitive answer to what do I want to do in life. As of this moment I want to do everything.I think that if I’m ever going to find direction I need to first narrow down my wants.
- Work on my portfolio. I went to school to work in film, what I have done in the past 2 years with that has been very little.I know that if filmmaking is where I want to be I need to focus on putting more effort into getting in the door.
So there you have it. My contract with myself to help me accomplish the life goals I have set. For me, September is the month of new beginnings. So here it is, the start of my newest challenge, my latest attempt of starting something new. Let’s see where this goes.
“You have to resign yourself to wasting lots of trees before you write anything really good. That’s just how it is. It’s like learning an instrument. You’ve got to be prepared for hitting wrong notes occasionally, or quite a lot. That’s just part of the learning process. And read a lot. Reading a lot really helps. Read anything you can get your hands on.”